Monday, August 17, 2009

Class Pictures

Every time i see your face,
It reminds me of the places we used to go.
But all i got is a photograph
And i realize you're not coming back anymore.

- Ringo Starr “Photograph”

Recently while moving some stuff around my mothers house I came upon my 1st grade class picture. It was beat up and folded down the middle. Sadly Mrs. Russell our teacher has a piece of old scotch tape on her face so it’s hard to make it out. The bottom half looks like it has some water damage and a few kids are almost obliterated totally(Sorry Jennifer and Bobby). With a hint of foresight my mother actually wrote kids names on the back. This was helpful because even though the faces are somewhat familiar the names aren’t as easy to remember.South River School 1973-74

When looking up old school friends it’s a struggle to remember names in faces. I’ve been wanting to find these old class pictures and I was thrilled to find this. Even beaten and battered I felt like I struck gold. It seems like the older I get the more nostalgic I get. I love these old school class pictures. I remember the kids I played with and the girls I had crushes on.

I remember being down with pneumonia(or flu I’m not sure now) the week before Christmas(around that time). Being sick as a kid is never fun. My grandmother who was a school bus driver brought home a card (and maybe something else I can’t remember) that was signed by all my classmates. I thought that was pretty cool and I still remember that to this day.

I’m not sure whatever happened to Mrs. Russell later on. My younger brother had her several years later, but after that I don’t know what ever happened to her. Her act of kindness was one of the coolest things any teacher did for me. Thank you Mrs. Russell wherever you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment