Saturday, December 12, 2009

Up in smoke: Day 1

j0341771 Recently I decided I wanted to try and quit smoking again. I talked to my doctor recently and he recommended I try Chantix to help me stay quit. It hasn’t been an easy decision to make. It’s a major commitment on my part. I know my wife and kids support me in my decision. It has been a part of my life for close to 30 years now. The time just feels right to renew battle against this stuff. My wife suggested that I could blog about my experience. So I plan to blog here every so often to give everyone updates on my progress(or not).

What are my goals?

First of course is to stop smoking for good. I hadn’t made a serious attempt in quite awhile. The Chantix is suppose to be a 12-week program. I smoke the first week while starting to take the pills. It’s suppose to give your body time to adjust to the medication and then to stop smoking on the 8th day. My day will be next Saturday December 19, 2009. My wife even asked why so so soon? I said why not, I had pretty much made my mind up to do this.

Secondly I hope to inform and help those that may be thinking of quitting using this method. Even if they choose to try something different perhaps it will serve as encouragement.

Chantix also has a support program called GetQuit. I signed up online which they’ll give me activities to do, email and phone support. Today’s activity is suppose to keep a log of where and when I smoke for 24 hours. I’ll begin that today when I wake up(I’m writing this is in wee hours of the morning). When I wake I plan to start keeping my log and pill in the morning(with beverage and food as recommended).

I’d love to hear about any other people who have tried this. I’d welcome your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment