Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Long and Winding Road



Took my couch to 5K training to the Cape Cod Canal yesterday. It was a sunny warm day with a cool breeze off the water. It's not my first time here but I usually hit here about once a week. It's an ideal place for beginner runner's like myself. It's fairly level so it's not so intimidating for newbie runner's like myself. 

The area I run is on the south side of the canal in Bourne between the Bourne Bridge and railroad bridge although my circle is expanding as my distance grows. So far I've onlt seen the occasional sailboat or pleasure craft on the water. Usually some guys along the way fishing along the rocks. The canal access road is also popular for walkers, bikes, joggers and just plain sightseer's.

Today's run stat's.
 I've been at this couch to 5k training for little over two month's now as a fun way to lose weight and get into shape. I had packed on the pounds since the fall and when spring time hit fewer of my clothes even fit any more and of course the comment's of my shape increased also. Something clicked inside me to get off my butt and do something.

I had heard of couch to 5k program's and app before and thought it would be good way to start. I figured having a goal would help my stay with it. After looking at a few I did choose Active.com's Couch-to 5k program. Between the mapping run's and using  music it seem to win out. The first few run's were actually the hardest. It was still early spring and as fellow New Englanders will tell you this past winter did not want to go away. Some of the first weeks were were really cold(for me at least) in the 30 and 40 degree range.

The picture above is misleading as I'm actually in my tenth week. Around the third week I had hit a stumbling block.I had a couple of crappy run's between the the app I was using messing up. Probably hitting a button or two which through my rhythm off. So I scrapped that week and decided to do that whole week over. It seemed to be a turning point as it's been steady progress since then.

MyFitnessPal app


Over ten weeks ago I started off at a portly 220 lbs and just this past weekend I weighed in at 211 so I seemed to be averaging a pound a week which was my goal. I'm feeling much better and my cloth's are fitting better too.

I've already signed up for a 5k and I'll post more on that later.

Thanks for coming by.

No comments:

Post a Comment