Saturday, March 28, 2015

On the run again

This past week I finally gotten back to running again. Here in New England we've had quite the winter which put a huge damper on my running on the road. I wasn't too keen on running on narrowed roads due to six foot high snow banks coupled with temperatures hovering in the single digits a lot of the time didn't make it too enticing to bundle up and run a few miles.

Before the 100 plus inches of snow I had signed up for a couple of 5k's this month thinking I'd be able to do them no problem. Was I mistaken. Of course I procrastinated getting back to running until the last minute. I could have used the gym and hit the treadmill but that also fell victim to my procrastination.  Needless to say I was totally not ready to run anything close to 3.1 miles(5k). I had ran a total of one mile the whole month of February. Even going back to January I was only doing a mile or so mixed in with some walking.

Not only was I not in running shape I had gained back the weight I lost year in a short amount of time which has pissed me off. It has given me added incentive. This was my original motivation to running in the first place.

I had also noticed I was more tense and irritable than I usually am. I was prone to outbursts at times which. I think part of it was i missed the release and endorphins that relaxed me after a run. I had missed running which is quite new to me. Since I've started these past couple of weeks I've been more relaxed. It's a good tension reliever for sure.  

Finally these past two weeks I've finally hit my favorite running spot in Mansfield, Massachusetts along a paved bike path that the snow and ice finally retreated to safely run. Just yesterday I finally hit the 2 mile mark for the first time since December. It also was the first three run week in 2015. Very happy to be back hitting the pavement. Already have a few 5k's in mind and hopefully won't miss anymore.

Until next time, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment