Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Are you reading all those books?

How many books I read is a question I get from time to time. I get this a lot at work as I read something at break time. My official Goodreads list I have about 20 started but in reality I'm only reading maybe 3 or 4 at a time. My interests seem to vary and attention span a bit short I tend to read in short bursts of time. Here is how I'm currently splitting my reading time up.

At Work

At work I have only a short break to read so I kind of keep it light reading as far as both size of book and subject. It has to fit in my lunch bag and so I try not to make it big book. My current lunchroom pick is "The Heroin Diaries" by Nikki Sixx which has got some interest from others to say the least.


Lunch Break

At my lunch break I head out to my car and I have another book in case I'm in the mood. Another light reader. I've only started doing this recently. My current pick is "The Courage to Write" by Ralph Keyes. It's a small book and it's been easy to pick up good pointers and grasp ideas quickly in my too short of a lunch break. 

Commute 

here is where my audiobooks come in. Admittedly I was skeptical about books on audio. I almost felt like it was cheating at reading. Last year I started an Audible subscription and I have been a convert ever since. I do tend to pick titles that are lesser on my priority list but still want to read. I've also included some current selection that hit me spur of the moment. I've listen to classic novels and long history books. My latest selection is "Bad Animals: A Father's Accidental Education in Autism" by Joel Yanofsky which I found by a web article.

At Home 

I leave this to the more serious books and heavy big books(I like big books I cannot lie). These tend to be ones that I's rather spend more time concentrating on. They tend to be of my current favorite genre which for the moment is local New England history so now my choice is the hefty 946 page "Albion's Seed: Four British Folkways in America" by David Hackett Fischer.

These are by no means all that I'm reading but these are my go-to books at the moment. I have a tendency to feel bad that I'm not reading enough of my collection fast enough. Admittedly when I finish my main book my focus bounces until I find a main read. I really don't know how book lover's can only read one at a time. I'm interested to hear how others deal with this. 

I'll finish with some tips from Book Riots Amanda Nelson's book reading strategy.




No comments:

Post a Comment