Thursday, June 13, 2013

Marshfield by Cynthia Hagar Krusell & John J. Galluzzo

 

Scan-004

I spent a sizable chunk of my childhood in Marshfield on the South Shore of Massachusetts so naturally this book interested me. For those that don’t know, Marshfield is a mid point between the big city of Boston and Cape Cod along the coast. It has it’s share of rolling hillside and balanced with sandy seashore. Summer was marked when my mother got her beach sticker and along with my brother and sister we’d spend many days down at Rexhame beach. When I got older I’d hop on my bike early mornings to Humarock(Ok it’s actually Scituate) watch the early morning sunrise over the ocean. The highlight of summer of course was the annual Marshfield Fair with the fireworks that we could hear from our house if we weren’t there. I missed it and friends I had grown up with when we moved away. I even went to school that was nick named “The Alamo” and If you saw it you’d understand.

The book gives a  pictorial account of the early history of the town. The different villages are described in vintage photos. Most of the photos concentrated around the pioneer days of photography, late 1800’s to 1900’s. I would love to see more during the later half of the 20th century when my mother grew up there and later I did. As I read the book it made me wish I had a road map too the town for refresh my aging memory. It’s a cool book for those that have known or lived (or still do)in Marshfield at one time or another. It makes a handy reference or something cure your fix for nostalgia.

No comments:

Post a Comment