Saturday, February 4, 2017

Model Bug

Recently I've rekindled my interest model kit building. I've had a couple of kits floating around I finally dived into one of them Before I get to far ahead I'll give a little history of my model building. I first started building them probably around my preteen years. Being like many boys I loved cars so that what I mainly built but on occasion I'd build airplanes or battleships. One of my inspirations was my grandfather whom we lived with. He had a love for the sea so he built old square rigged sailing ships although he did a few other things but the ships were his specialty. I tried the "Mayflower" and Pilgrims would have never made it across a bath tub never mind the the Atlantic in it so I stuck with cars. Eventually grew interested in other things so the hobby fell away. Over the years I'd build one here and there. 


The kit I'm starting with is of a 1958 Chevrolet Impala by AMT. It is 1/25 scale which is the most common ones, along with 1/24 scale, for cars and trucks for those of you not familiar with scale modelling. I got this one several years ago when I owned the modern version on the Impala(a 2000 model). It's also inspired from one of favorite movies "American Graffiti" where one of the cars was a white 1958 Impala which was my favorite in movie. 

http://www.superchevy.com/news/1509-american-graffiti-white-1958-chevy-impala-goes-to-auction/#photo-01

One of the first steps was eking out a space to work my project. I had a work bench in the basement that was currently home to several old tower PC's. So I had to find some space in an already cluttered basement for these to go. 

I also took inventory of modelling stuff  I may still have. I had started a 57 Chevy Bel Air several years ago so I did have some stuff already. Unfortunately I needed to buy some more tools and paints. The 57 Chevy though was in sad shape as it's missing pieces from being shuffled around. I'd not sure what I'm going to do with it at this point. Maybe keep it for spare parts of some future project. 

Well I was happy to have found a space work and project to work on. I'll post updates as I move along with it. Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment