Sunday, July 10, 2016

THE BRAINWASHING OF MY DAD




I'm not quite sure how I first came across this video but I'm sure hooked on it now. Filmmaker Jen Senko explores how her Dad got hooked on right-wing talk radio and Fox News and began hating and annoying those around him. Come to find out it's not that uncommon. In fact we all probably know someone who has fallen for Fox News and talk radio mind set. That mind set of course is an emotional anger towards anything liberal or Democrat. President Obama and the presumptive Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton are practically his and her and antichrist's according to pundits and commentary on this media. 

I'll admit I skirted with the right-wing phenomenon also. Around the year 2000 a new FM radio station came to our area. I believe it was 96.9FM WTTK in Boston which was all news and talk radio which was a new concept in the area. Working the 2nd shift I caught libertarian Jay Severin in the afternoon drive in and sometimes I'd can't Sean Hannity at night. Matt Levin also substituted sometimes. I remember when the Bush verses Gore election controversy in 2001 was when I became glued to it. Also my in-laws born-again Christian and loved Bill O'Reilly I read some of Bill's books and liked them a lot. I never really watched him on TV as his show was on while I was working. I have to admit I was somewhat disappointed when I did see him. I felt the same about Sean Hannity as I found him aggressive and combative to those who didn't agree with him.Although I liked him in a way I found this manner unappealing and frankly tiresome. I thought his righteous mannerism and bully behavior wrong and unfair. It hardly presented a fair and balanced viewpoint as the Fox News slogan proclaims.

Over the years I had gradually shifted back to the left of politics. I put it somewhere between  2008 and 2012 because I voted for McCain 2008 and then voted to re-elect President Obama by 2012 I had voted to the re-elect Obama. I had even grown to like President Obama him despite my initial misgivings. I never hated him as some did just wasn't sure of his ability which he has proven to be quite capable.

In short this video may help explain why those on the right seem so angry and uncompromising, even to this day. The video is on demand on Amazon, YouTube and iTunes. It should be available on DVD and Blu-Ray in August of this year. It may help explain a lot about Donald Trump's rise and popularity. The video does have a warm and happy ending.


Official Website for The Brainwashing of My Dad





No comments:

Post a Comment