Friday, May 1, 2015

Malachy McCourt's History of Ireland by Malachy McCourt

Malachy McCourt's History of IrelandMalachy McCourt's History of Ireland by Malachy McCourt
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a look at the history of Ireland through the stories of about 50 people who have influenced, defined, created and have become the Irish. I must admit i didn't know a lot about Irish history, despite being of Irish heritage, in much of any detail before reading this. I knew about Saint Patrick, Michael Collins(because of the Liam Neeson movie), Frank McCourt(Pulitzer winner brother of the author) and of course U2. If you were to quiz me on Irish history before hand I'd fail miserably. I'd probably still fail but not because of this book. It would seem this book would assume you already knew a bit about Irish history. Although an excellent book, if your starting out in the beginning phase of Irish history something a bit more simplified might help. Perhaps an Ireland for dummies book would work along with a geographical map. It's still a very good book to learn about Ireland I just wouldn't start at the beginning with this one as the detail, politics and geography can be confusing for the Irish beginner.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment