Sunday, July 6, 2014

Phinney's Harbor Day 5k

My second 5k proved to be harder than the first. The event was the Phinney's Harbor Day 5k in Bourne,Massachusetts. The race starts and end at Monument Beach which is home to the Bourne Community Boating. 

The race starts at the beach house. Goes out into nearby residential neighborhood. Which started early in my main weakness of my training..lack of hills. It was so bad until the path started going off on an adventure to speak. It eventually went off onto a dirt road which was ok at first other than a few soft spots. The recent Tropical storm "Arthur" had left some massive puddles, small ponds I think, that left runner scrabbling to the sides of the road dodge bushes and branches. This was just the warm up though. It eventually went off onto a a single file trail off road. Which meant dodging more obstacles like roots and branches. Let's also add that much of the trail was going up hill which I'll be honest this was my version of "heartbreak hill". I'm man enough to say I did slow it down to a walk until I was over the worst of it. The rest went gradually back to residential neighborhood. Which found its way back to the beach to the finish like. Where I eagerly found some water and claimed my goody bag with t-shirt and some other goodies.

One humbling and inspiring thing was that an 80 year old guy finished ahead of me.  Which tells me I have a ways to go and to never to give up.
I had fun and I'm already looking for more. I'll have to work some more trails into my jogging program to mix it up 

No comments:

Post a Comment