Thursday, December 26, 2019

Brave Companions: Portraits in History by David McCullough

Brave Companions: Portraits in HistoryBrave Companions: Portraits in History by David McCullough
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I'll admit I've been a fan of David McCullough since listening to him narrate Ken Burn's Civil series. Even listening to him is a joy. Many times as I read his work I can hear in my mind as his voice which just seems to bring his stories more color and warmth. I've also read his legendary biography of John Adams and his book on Theodore Roosevelt (Morning's on Horseback) and 1776.

This book is a collection of stories which are a mixture of both famous and perhaps people you never heard of before. The more famous ones feature the likes of Harriet Beecher Stowe, Charles Lindbergh and Theodore Roosevelt. Others contain less famous people such as explorer Alexander Von Humboldt, author Conrad Richter and photographer David Plowden. It also features the father and son team of John A. Roebling and Washington Roebling who brought us the Brooklyn Bridge. Some feature a mixture of people and places like an essay of Washington D.C., building of the Panama Railroad (predating the more famous canal) and the previously mentioned Brooklyn Bridge.
I find the only downside to the book is the stop and start nature of the style. Each story has its one arc and it’s hard for me keep start over again. It’s a challenge to start over again.

I do find David’s writing always rich in detail of not only the places or events but of the people involved too. You can always sense too his love for the each and every story. His enthusiasm certainly comes out in his words and is infectious.

For David McCullough fans this will be enjoyable but may be tough on newcomers due to some of the people or subjects are obscure and maybe tough to get into. It is still an enjoyable book for American history enthusiasts.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment