Monday, May 27, 2019

This Is His Day


Someone to remember this day is Daniel John Dabrue. He was my mother’s cousin who was killed in Vietnam on June 4, 1968. I don’t remember him as I was only a year and half old but had heard of him as I grew older. Growing up in the shadow of Vietnam I didn’t know a lot about the war but I did have uncles who served, including one severely wounded, I looked up to them with lots of respect and honor which I still do to this day. 


So when I visited Washington D.C. last year the Vietnam War Memorial Wall was on my must visit list. Although I didn’t know him personally I thought my Mom would like it if I found “poor Danny’s” name there. It was quite crowded being a holiday week(4th of July) and despite the oppressive heat. They do have books where you can look up people on the wall. Daniel is located on Panel 60W, Line 08. I was able to locate him fairly easy. One thing I noticed is that even with huge crowds people they were relatively quiet as they walked thru. I later showed her pictures of his name and she was thrilled. 




Daniel was born in Attleboro, Massachusetts to Louis and Anna Dabrue on August 27, 1949. He also has a sister Elaine. In Boston, Massachusetts on May 31, 1967 he joined the United States Marine Corp. After basic training he arrived in Vietnam on December 9, 1967 and was assigned to Fox Company, 2nd Battalion 5th Marine Regiment. June of 1968 his unit was committed to a series of combat missions in the northern Quang Tri Province. On the 4th of June his platoon was southwest of Co Ha Pat(mountain) near the Loation border. His company was probed and attacked by a NVA unit (North Vietnamese Army) with crew served weapons(machine guns, mortars etc..) and small arms fire. His unit took many casualties and PFC Daniel Dabrue was one of those killed that day by rifle fire. He was less than three months shy of his 19th birthday. He is buried in Rock Ridge Cemetery in Sharon, Massachusetts.

This is his day.

No comments:

Post a Comment