Saturday, March 16, 2019

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson

I Am LegendI Am Legend by Richard Matheson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I first came across this story in the form of Charlton Heston's post apocalyptic film called "The Omega Man" as I kid which as always fascinated me with the desolated city(set in 1970's Los Angeles I believe) where a lone man survives and battles against mysterious creatures by night. I didn't find out until adulthood that it was based upon this story.

The story follows Robert Neville is alone after what is speculated to be an airborne virus that if it doesn't eventually kill you turns you into something in-between that are like a vampire/zombie mix who relentlessly seek out other survivors who only venture out at night. He constantly battles loneliness and sorrow. He barricades himself at night, By day he hunts down these vampire-like creatures to kill them and also spends time trying to figure out what happened(this is where the airborne virus theory comes from). Eventually he comes across another woman survivor but it turns out she isn't exactly who or what she first says she is. I won't spoil the rest.

The book also contains other short stories that are along the horror genre. The stories reminded of reading Stephen King which isn't surprising as he's quoted on the cover as Matheson being a big influence on him which is easily apparent after reading the book. If you are a fan of King then I think you'd enjoy this book very much.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment