Thursday, September 11, 2014

Nobody's Fool - Book Review (and movie)

Nobody's FoolNobody's Fool by Richard Russo
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I originally became aware of this story from it's movie adaptation. The movie starred Paul Newman as the main character , Donald "Sully" Sullivan. Also had Jessica Tandy, Bruce Willis and Melanie Griffith.

Sully is a blue collar construction worker that everyone loves and hates but seems to make some poor decisions. Kind of like the small upstate New York town who if it wasn't for bad luck they wouldn't have any.

This story has a personal meaning for me though which also attracted me to it. Both my late Dad and I liked this movie a lot although for different reason's. It's sort of an example of how people have different perspectives on the same subject.

In my Dad's eye's this reminded him of his brother-in-law with the cast of townies and their quirky characters and small town hijinks. Knowing from my uncle's stories I can see why.

In contrast I saw my Dad as "Sully" on many accounts. Both had for years not had much with his own children. Was bitter and angry with his own father and both with good reason to be. Neither I believe ever really forgave them. Not to mention both were hampered by injuries to their legs that were eerily. This is part of the reason I tried to finish the book on this day which is his birthday.

For those who seen the movie first you should expect more in depth backgrounds on many characters. It certainly brings a deeper understanding of them. It also changes a few things around that are a bit surprising but doesn't change the story a whole lot.

In contrast those who haven't seen the movie should do so. Much of the books "fat' was trimmed and like I mentioned some of the story lines have been switched a little but the characters are much the same. Much of the dialogue is almost verbatim between the book and film of which much of it is priceless.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment