Saturday, May 25, 2013

King Phillip War

 

Scan-003Recently I started reading “Until I have no country” by Michael J. Tougias. It is a novel set during the early colonial America conflict known as “King Phillip’s War” in New England in 1675-77. I had known little about this before reading this. Most of early American history starts from the Mayflower and skips over to Concord and Lexington. This seems to be one of those conflicts that doesn’t get a lot of history press. I had little idea of the extent of the war and what it entailed. King Phillip (AKA: Metacomet) was the Chief of Wampanoags who tried to drive out English colonists.

kingphilip001

As a native New Englander its fascinating to hear about local towns and locations that were subject to battles between Native Americans and early settlers in the area. The war ,as with all of them, were savage and brutal.

map-king-philips-war

This book is a novelization of the war but facts and events remain true to history. The author, Michael J. Tougias, does have another book about the war which I have since ordered.I’m looking forward to finishing this book and reading more about

No comments:

Post a Comment